Come share my world

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Where were u???
Exactly a year today i overheard my dad mention that a Bellview plane that left from Lagos to Abuja was missing. To be honest it didn't really register in my head (i just kept thinking how can a plane go missing). The next morning (Sunday 23rd October 2005) the reality of what happened the night before hit me hard.......the missing plane was found in Lisa, Ogun State (crashed) along with it mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, breadwinners. I was totally confused i kept calling all my 'ajala travel' friends to ensure they were safe. Luckily i got through to most of them.
The Bellview plane crash didn't hit home directly but during the course of that week i learnt an old classmate's mum was in the crash (Mrs Sokenu) along side a friend of one of my closest friends (Mrs Bimbo Babalola nee Ojora). To add to the already dark day was the death of our First Lady Stella Obasanjo. I kept wondering what really went wrong? Granted most of the planes that go the domestic route in naija are moving death traps this just doesn't normally happen in Nigeria. A few months back i travelled to Abuja using Chanchangi or whatever it calls itself and i was scareddddddddddddddd those 50 minutes onboard were the longest i have ever experienced in my life.
45 days later tragedy struck again when 107 people died in the Sosoliso air crash. This time around i cried like a baby : 70 future leaders of my dear country died a horrific death. Seeing their obituary in the dailies only made the pain worse. Also in that crash was Pastor Bimbo Odukoya (am even in tears typing this) mennnnn did i have questions for God or what? I was never fortunate enough to meet her in person but she impacted my life in so many ways (i will have a tribute up in 45 days).
117 souls perished exactly a year today in a crash that some felt could have been avoided but only the Almighty knows best. I take solace in the fact that my God is All-Knowing. My prayers go out especially to the widows, widowers, and children that were left behind by these departed compatriots. The Lord Almighty will continue to comfort them and provide for their needs. No amount of words can make things right but He who is the Comforter can do all things. May their gentle souls rest in peace.

4 Comments:

  • Who are we to quetion the Almighty. HE knows why He called them home. My prayer is God to bless and kep the families of the faithful departed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 am, October 23, 2006  

  • Just reading this makes me very teary eyed.
    It was such a sad time for Nigeria.
    Those plane crashes really hit home. God bless their souls and their families.

    By Blogger Bella Naija, at 5:20 pm, October 23, 2006  

  • I remember hearing about the crashes... and my friend knew Pastor Bimbo Odukoya, she was really upset. So so sad...

    They are resting with the Lord and the Almighty God will continue to be with their friends and families.

    By Blogger LondonBuki, at 10:37 am, October 24, 2006  

  • too too sad.. God be with their families, friends and all who knew them

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 pm, October 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home